Monday, June 18, 2012

Revising Phonology

Having listening to Conlangery #29: Sound Systems and Romanizations and #48: Designing a Sound System, I think I will revise my phonology to be more symmetrical:

Labials Coronals Velar Uvular Glottal
Bilabial Lab.dent. Dental Alveolar Post-Alv.
Nasal m/מ n/נ ŋ/כ
Stop b/ב d/ד g/ג ʔ/ע
Affric. dž/צ
Fricative v/פ ð/ת z/ז ž/ש ɣ/ח
Trill r/ר R/ה
Lat. Approx. ɫ/ל
j/י w/ו
Yellow is for the "lemon ring" - למנרכ.  The velar nasal will be more limited than I previously thought.  I think it can still open a syllable, but not if any other consonants are around.  I think it can be syllabic still.
Blue is for "the azuře views" – תשחפז.  The big change is here.  The lone retroflex /ɻ/ has been replaced with /ɣ/.  I think this may get Romanized as γ (wait, that's Hellenizing) or ř.  The Hebrew ח  will help with remembering to rasp.
Grey is for the "breathings".  Like Greek -- ὀ vs. ὁ -- Perelandrans think of "smooth breathing" (i.e. nothing – א), "front breathing" (/w/ – ו), "middle breathing" (/j/ – י), and rough-low breathing (/R/ – ה).  These are spelled א and י and ו and ה respectively.
The stop (signs) are in red - בדצגע.  These are considered "weak", and are typically lenited fricatives.

Vowels don't need major revising.  I think the long vowels will all be rising and the diphthongs all falling.  I need to read a lot more, but I'm considering the much-lauded-on-Conlangery two-tone idea.  Previously, I had considered nasal vowels and I'm thinking about putting it in now.  I need to practicing saying them for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment